Halloween is a huge to-do at Ohio University. Last time I checked, it was the third largest gathering of people in America (right behind Times Square for new years eve, and New Orleans for Mardi Gras.) So it’s no surprise that in Athens Ohio, students are already getting their costumes together. What most of us forget to take into account is the implications our costumes will have throughout our night. Depending on what type of costume you choose, you will have to live with that decision. Don’t get me wrong, all costume ideas can be fun, and will contribute in some way to a fun and original night. But some people are going to be harsh: so let me outline a few things you might be dealing with.
No matter what your group costume is, people are going to assume this about you: you think that you and your buddies are the best buddies ever. Period.
Sure, dressing up as the Spice Girls seems cute and all, but throughout the night, people will not be able to view you as an individual. All you are to them is Posh Spice. Furthermore, if you and your friends actually do end up getting separated (which is uncommon for such good buddies) then your costume will make absolutely no sense. Your Posh Spice costume is now just a slut outfit. Granted, a posh slut, but still. My advice to avoid this: do a group costume that can stand on it’s own. Be Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy for example; two iconic figures that are easily recognizable on their own.
Store-bought “Funny” Costumes:
If your costume falls under this category, you are either socially awkward, a hipster, or a bro. None of which are terrible in and of itself, but people will make an awful lot of assumptions about you. The infamous Brethalizer costume, with the hose in the crotch area (with instructions to “blow here”) will make people think you’re a huge tool. Regardless of whether or not the costume is “ironic.”
The only way to avoid this, is to be an upstanding gentleman or lady throughout the entire night. This might actually effectively change the way some people think about these costumes. But seriously, who wants to be morally upstanding on Halloween?
The obscure movie, literary, or video-game reference Costume:
You’re a nerd, plain and simple.
A good example of one of these costumes is No-Face from Spirited Away. 10% of the time, this costume is amazing. Everyone who has seen the movie will run up to you, want pictures with you, and just make you feel good about yourself overall. The other 90% of your night, people will be absolutely terrified by you. And if they aren’t scared of you, they are at the very least confused. The same can be said of any obscure reference costume.
Despite what many people might think, both women and men are guilty of donning skanky Halloween costumes. Sure, you may see an adversely higher amount of women doing this, but that comes from there being a higher demand for it. Everyone: male, female, gay, straight, bi, pansexual, whatever, can appreciate a good slut. I think that in some ways, we all have imagined what Alice in Wonderland would have looked like if she were in a cheap porno; and on Halloween, we don’t need to wonder anymore.
That being said, some people don’t like to admit they love sluts. They will turn it into an issue of morality or self-respect. So, although everyone secretly thinks that your sexy fireman outfit is fun, they will inevitably talk about you as if you’re human trash.
All these points aside, I will say this: You shouldn’t actually care what people think about your costume. This is Halloween, a night where you can be whatever you want to be, and do what you want to do! People may judge you, but that’s kind of part of the fun. All you can do is be prepared for what people will think and say: and then just decide not to give a rat’s ass.